Cybernetics deals with systems and their control. These may be technological systems as in robots, biological as in the control of human body temperatures, or environmental as illustrated by the Gaia Hypothesis which states that the Earth itself is a self-regulating cybernetic system. Its study brings together several academic disciplines and spans subjects such as robotic systems, biomedical engineering, computer science, information technology and engineering.
Students choose cybernetics at Reading because of the unique focus we place on the subject, the world renowned nature of our research into the subject, and the wide range of cutting-edge technologies you can learn. These include Autonomous Robots, Artificial Intelligence, Terahertz Radiation and Virtual Reality.
• Well-equipped labs let you push the boundaries of this exciting subject. Whether you want to build autonomous robots or are interested in exploring Virtual Reality, our labs are fully equipped to help you explore the world of Artificial Intelligence and Cybernetics.
• Superb links with industry. Many large blue-chip IT and engineering companies are based in and around Reading and regularly sponsor both us and you - we get new equipment to support your learning and you get placement and sponsorship opportunities.
• Unique focus on Cybernetics. Our Cybernetics degree is one of only a handful of such degrees in the UK. Its unique nature and strong focus on systems and control will enable you to learn a diverse range of skills that are crucial to industry.
• World class research from renowned Cyberneticians. Cybernetics has long been one of the strengths of Reading and you'll be taught the principles of Artificial Intelligence and Cybernetics by Cyberneticians with a global reputation.
• Extremely friendly environment, with staff and students working well together. Come to our Open Days and see for yourself!
Student experience and employment
Our active links with many computing, robotics and research organisations enable us to offer a year of paid professional training and experience as the third year of our four-year programme. Student placements have included such diverse areas as Research Machines (Computing), Siemens (Electronics) and Shadow (Prosthetics). We will help you to find a placement appropriate to your needs.
We have dedicated computer labs that you can access throughout the day and night and which contain the very latest state of the art software for you to work and develop on. Classes are taught in these labs as well, ensuring you get plenty of hands-on support as you develop your skills.
We also strongly encourage the entrepreneurial spirit in you throughout your degree, and offer a dedicated module in Entrepreneurialism, which sets you the task of creating an idea for a business, developing a business plan, and presenting it to a set of independent judges from the IT and business community.
With our graduates going on to careers in software engineering, programming, consultancy, systems analysis, control engineering, game development, robotics, and even prosthetics design, a Cybernetics degree at the University of Reading gives you the skills you need for a highly rewarding professional career in a diverse range of fields. Recent graduates from the course have gone onto work for companies, including BAE Systems Ltd (Systems Analyst), Nortel (Software Developer), Rare Ltd (Games Programmer), Novartis Technologies (Software Engineer), Ossur (Prosthetics Designer) and Logica CMG (Technical Consultant).